The state of Georgia may be well known for those delicious Georgia peaches, but there’s another attraction that makes it great to be a Georgian—the Georgia Horse Shows 2017. Late spring to early fall, you will find several opportunities to experience all that the horse show scene has to offer in our area.
From 4H shows where kids are just beginning to learn and fine-tune their riding and showing abilities to professional horse shows, where you can see the best of the best horses and showmen and women—if you love horses, these shows are the places to be this summer.
Our state’s horse and horse show industry generates more than $2.5 billion each year. While 87% of people contributing to the industry ride horses for pleasure or trail, nearly 40% compete at Georgia’s horse shows. The horse industry is so strong in part because the mild climate is well-suited for raising horses and for year-round horse shows and riding. Plus, our state features over 100 miles of riding trails through state parks.
Have You Been to a Show at the Georgia International Horse Park?
While horse shows take place at different venues throughout the state, one popular location since it opened in 1995 is the Georgia International Horse Park in Conyers. This gorgeous park includes 1,400 acres. Its original purpose was to host the 1996 Olympic Games, but it continues to hold horse shows and events each year.
One popular horse show taking place at the Georgia International Horse Park is the Atlanta Summer Classic. Here are the details:
- World class show jumping
- Several hundred horses and riders ages 6 to 60
- Two $35,000 Grand Prix, $35,000 Pony Hunter Classic, USHJA international Hunter Derby, and World Championship Rider Event
- Session one takes place 6/14/17 to 6/18/17, and a second session is scheduled for 6/21/17 to 6/25/17.
More Chances to Experience the Georgia Horse Show 2017 Season
If the Atlanta Summer Classic doesn’t work with your schedule this year, not to worry, because there are plenty of other opportunities, including, but not limited to, the following shows:
Georgia 4-H State Horse Show – June 12-16, 2017
- Held at the Agricenter at the Georgia National Fairgrounds in Perry, GA
- Featuring Stock Seat (Western), Ranch Horse (Western), Hunt Seat (English), Saddleseat (English), and Contest Events (Running)
- Champion and reserve champion are named in each division and age category.
Northeast Georgia Charity – June 22-24, 2017
- Held at the Chicopee Woods Agricultural Center in Gainesville, GA
- Featuring all breed shows with several academy classes
- Benefiting the Lung Cancer Foundation of America
Here’s to a Great Summer
Whether you catch all of the Georgia horse shows in 2017, check out just one, or do something else entirely, our family at Peak Steel Buildings hopes you have the best summer ever. Our beautiful state offers a lot of potential for fun and adventure, so get out there and make the most of it.